Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Our department is designed to enable physicians and clinicians to enhance quality outcomes and patient safety. Supply chain is comprised of almost 300 employees who strive to ensure efficient and successful patient care. Our services range from case cart operations, purchasing, materials management, systems support, and many others. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to our customers
The Clinical Supply Specialist is responsible for day to day material and inventory related operations in all OR areas and Central Supply to include but not limited to:
Inventory and cycling counting surgical material
Receiving and stocking of material to support surgical operations
Placing orders to support surgical operations
Assisting clinical staff in obtaining material to support surgical operations.
Preparing case carts for transport to the OR for procedures
Participate in annual inventory related functions
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
Provide materials requested for patient medical care.
Process requests generated from clinicians for supplies and equipment.
Deliver supply requests in an accurate and timely manner.
React appropriately to stock outs, critical levels and all emergency supply situations.
Assemble case carts according to surgical preference cards.
Drive VUMC equipment (such as truck or tow motor) as needed following all safety guidelines.
Deliver case carts, supplies, and instruments to requested destinations as needed.
Receive all medical-surgical supplies and equipment.
Utilize the appropriate materials management systems to receive supplies and update on hand inventory.
File receiving documentation according to policy.
Follow policy and procedure for receipt of all implants to include bone and tissue.
Ensure appropriate on hand inventory levels are maintained.
Conduct inventory counts according to schedule.
Generate orders based on usage and determined par levels.
Maintain work environment in a safe, clean, orderly manner.
Ensure all locations have appropriate barcodes and locators assigned.
Ensure stock is replenished to assigned location.
Rotate stock and check for expired product.
Follow all safety procedures in handing supplies and equipment.
Maintain appropriate supply chain records and documentation.
Directly responsible for capturing patient charges for all medical-surgical supplies.
Cross reference supplies between departments as appropriate.
Follow procedures to track supplies borrowed or loaned to surrounding hospitals.
Process all returns according to policy.
Serves as a preceptor for new employees.
Teaches proper methods of assembling surgery carts according to departmental standards.
Teaches proper methods of maintaining inventory according to departmental standards.
Provides a positive role model in time, attendance and performance.
Finish Case Carts
Complete the case cart by adding all appropriate supplies per the DPC.
Seal the cart and stage the cart in the finished area.
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year relevant experience.
Previous Supply Chain experience
1 st shift - Thursday and Friday 10:00 am to 6:30 pm & Saturday and Sunday 6:00 am to 6:30 pm
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
EQUIPMENT INSPECTIONS (NOVICE): - Reviews and Inspections is a systematic process of checking to see whether a piece of equipment is meeting specified requirements.
INVENTORY MANAGEMENT (NOVICE): - Monitors material movement into and out of stock, reconciles inventory balances, and maintains adequate inventory levels.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (NOVICE): - A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
Organizational Impact: Performs clearly defined tasks and methods described in detail to achieve standardized solutions that impact own performance with regular guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Follows a well established process to solve routine problems where solutions are clearly prescribed.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has basic job knowledge of systems and procedures that are common to own job.
Team Interaction: Individually contributes to the team.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S1):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards Ensures continuous improvement.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S1):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.